We’re very happy to announce that this Friday, we’re hosting a one-off fundraising event alongside on of our staff members going for a little jog over a few sand dunes.
WaterAid Fundraising Evening
Friday 20th March. 8pm
£10 Ticket (Charity donation)
So to explain a little background to the fundraising; Oliver, who’s part of our management team, is competing in something called Marathon des Sables (or MdS) this April 3rd.
You may have never heard of it, but it’s ranked by the Discovery Channel as the ‘Toughest Footrace on Earth’, and claimed to be the race that defined the word ‘Ultramarathon’.
So basically… he’s running 156 miles, the equivalent of 6 marathons, in 5 days, across the inhospitable Sahara desert… He’ll have to carry all of his own kit, including food for the whole thing, and water is strictly rationed. “Sounds fun” we hear you say… We agree – a real hoot!
Well this Friday, we’re asking everyone to pay £10 entry for Friday night. Tickets will be a £10 donation, available in advance and on the door. There’ll be nibbles and welcome drinks alongside a raffle, including some wonderful prizes and certain drinks will have all sales donated to charity too.
There are over 20 great prizes, including:
- Felicity Jewellers, Bridgend. Citizen watch
- Felicity Jewellers, Bridgend. Cufflinks & bracelet.
- Ffos Las. Ladies Day, Saturday 23rd 4 x tickets, incl. lunch in Bridles Restaurant
- Christian Ryan, Stained Glass Artist. Stained glass taster day.
- Kevin Keegan Liverpool Signed Shirt. Iconic ‘7’ retro jersey.
- Fine Wines Direct UK. 3 litre bottle Marqués de Cáceres
- Fine Wines Direct UK. Magnum Marqués de Cáceres
- La Strada, Bridgend. Lunch for two.
- One2One Physiotherapy. Sports Massage
- Recep Bora Turkish Barber at The Lounge. Gentleman’s Pamper Package.
- Nolton Corner, Bridgend. Lunch for two, incl. bottle of Cal y Canto wine.
- Nolton Corner, Bridgend. Table bottle service, incl. 1 x bottle & unlimited mixers.
- Capelli Salons, Bridgend. Cut & finish voucher.
- Ella Riley Sweets, Bridgend. Sweetie Bomb
- The Coach, Bridgend. Free beer for you & your friends courtesy of RCH Brewery.
- Mair’s B&B. Bottle of scotch whisky.
Tickets are £5 each and available at The Coach, Felicity Jewellers and Nolton Corner.
Anyway, here’s a brief word from Oliver on the challenge ahead of him and what he’s raising money for…
When I initially decided to register for MdS last year, I did so with the primary purpose of it being a personal goal. But after reflecting on the enormity of the challenge ahead of me, it felt far too selfish to be only doing it for myself and I realised I should use this ordeal as a vehicle to raise money for those less fortunate.
There’s no right or wrong answer in fundraising, no matter what the charity, no matter how big or small the sponsored challenge. However, seeing as I’ll be tackling 6 marathons in 5 days across the Sahara, in temperatures reaching 50°C, I felt water to be somewhat of an appropriate cause.
Safe, clean water is something we all take for granted at the turn of a tap, but diseases from unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Creating a safe, clean, sustainable water source can single handedly help revive a community and tackle poverty.